Friday, October 1, 2010

Time to Raise some Funds!

Since the blog went up a couple of weeks ago I have gotten responses from friends and family concerned about little Callie and the cost of her surgery. Several people have given me some great ideas for fundraising activities, and I am excited to share what I've come up with so far! Please take a look at these and add your comments and suggestions here or on Facebook!



IDEA #1 -- BAKE SALE
My friend Meg suggested that I get in touch with my university to see if I can put up a table somewhere and sell baked goods for a couple of dollars each. She and my friend Jen have already offered to donate goodies!  This seems likely to be the fastest and easiest event to put together. Plus, I could put up adorable posters everywhere - maybe something like this?

 

IDEA #2 - SAMOSA SALE

This one's almost the same as the last, except it involves buying samosas from a local restaurant and selling them!  Anybody have ideas for restaurants I can ask about this, or other food items I could try to sell?

IDEA #3 - PARTY WITH A DOOR CHARGE
For this I would probably need to find a large space with lots of fun stuff inside.  A rockin' Halloween party, a Guitar Hero party, etc.  Unfortunately... my apartment is quite small, a party like this could cost ME a lot, and I don't have enough TVs and game consoles to have lots of people playing games at once!  I'm still not sure if I can swing this one, but if anyone has tried something similar I would love to hear about it!

IDEA #4 - BENEFIT CONCERT
A friend said it might be possible for his band to throw a benefit show for my little pup!  I imagine this could be a real challenge to get together, but could potentially raise some solid funds for Callie's cause!

IDEA #5 - PHOTOGRAPHY?
So I'm a photographer with experience and equipment.  There must be a way to use this!

IDEA #6 - LEMONADE STAND!
A pitcher, some lemons+sugar+water, a few cups, and the cash should roll right in!  ...Right?  Okay, so maybe I'm not so serious about this one.  But I bet there's a way to get my neighbors to help somehow!


I think that's mostly what I've got so far.  If you can take a minute to give me some input, I would love to know:
a) which ideas do you think are strong and potential money-makers?
b) has anyone done things like this, and with any success?  I need help!
c) is anybody interested in contributing time, money, poster design, or goodies for one of these events?


I can't wait to hear from you all!  It's time to really get serious about the fundraising!  So far we have raised enough to get Callie in the door with the orthopedic surgeon, but not quite enough to pay for the cab trips and any tests or other costs that might pop up.  I took her out for a walk yesterday and the hops weren't as pronounced as some days, but she is definitely having trouble with that left kneecap.  Still, she seems happy enough when perched on her (newest) favorite sofa cushion...

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Found your blog from flickr. SO sorry to hear about Callie's legs.

    Here is my 2 cents for fundraising ideas-
    I am also a student, and my pre-vet club puts on a bakesale every year to donate to a local shelter, and although it is moderately successful, the most we have made is a little less than $200 (on a campus with 15,000 students). That is with people donating baked goods. If you have to pay for the baked goods yourself... and you are looking at upwards of $3000 bill, that may not be worth your while. BUT every little bit helps, I know! Maybe.

    The party with a door charge is a great idea! You would have to find someone willing to volunteer their house (and some of their friends too) though.

    Along the concert idea...
    My dad has 'charity crab feasts' every year, complete with a band. You could sell tickets to a similar event (I know crabs are unlikely in Montreal lol) and it could be a hit if you have a band that would play for free. A party of $200 people will cover at least the cost of fixing one leg.

    PHOTOGRAPHY! This is where its at! :p
    A local rescue had a "Pictures with Santa" day. It was $10 a picture, and it was for 6 hours. Perhaps you could set up something similar, offer to be the photographer for a portion of the proceeds. This would be ideal, because the shelter/rescue will will do most of the advertising for you.

    Offer a photoshoot to the adoptees of shelter dogs, or graduates of a local dog trainers classes. Charge money for it...

    Get a variety of photos (perhaps from the photo-shoots, or take pictures of shelter dogs) and set up a cafepress.com store...

    Good luck with Callie, we will be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam-
    Thanks for the great tips!!! I will look into some of these and see what I can put together. I really appreciate your advice and very clever ideas!
    ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. stumbledin here via flickr:
    could you ask this Planté where he took his education? Vets-in-spé study somewhere, and maybe your doggie is an interesting case enough to get her operation for free.. maybe he does supervise students.

    Annet (mezze on flickr)

    ReplyDelete